Assistant Professor of Cinematic Arts in Animation
George Fox University announces a tenure-track position in the Department of Communication and Cinematic Arts, to begin in August 2020.
George Fox University, a Christ-centered community, prepares students spiritually, academically, and professionally to think with clarity, act with integrity, and serve with passion. Professors teach all truth as God's truth, integrating all fields of learning around the person and work of Jesus Christ, bringing the divine revelations through sense, reason, and intuition to the confirming test of Scripture. As a Christ-centered community, George Fox University is an institution that values diversity as an essential dimension of God’s design for human communities. In seeking to become a more inclusive community, we especially encourage applications from individuals who can help us achieve our diversity goals.
Portland, Oregon (20 miles from our Newberg campus) is a national center for animation work. It is home to renowned commercial production houses, award-winning individual artists, and a major animated feature film production studio (LAIKA).
● Teaching a range of courses in the Cinematic Arts program during the academic year, especially in 2D and 3D animation. Courses might include introduction to animation, storyboard and concept design, 2D and 3D animation, stop motion animation, and visual effects. Additional opportunities to teach production and critical studies courses may be available.
● Ability to develop and sustain an ongoing program of relevant scholarship.
● Participation in the work of the department and the university, including academic advising and serving on university committees as needed.
● A terminal degree (PhD or MFA) in a relevant field with significant professional experience preferred (ABD candidates will be considered). Candidates holding an MA, BFA, or BA/BS degree with significant industry experience will be considered for a non-tenure-track appointment (per the institution’s tenure eligibility requirements).
● Prior teaching experience at the university-level preferred.
● Experience with new digital technologies required.
● Commitment to excellence in undergraduate media education required.
● Commitment to building industry relationships and promotion of the program preferred.
● A commitment to working with a diverse population of students is essential; demonstrated experience in this area is preferred.
● All applicants must express a personal commitment to Jesus Christ and express their Christian testimony in a local church. In addition, professors agree to live in agreement with the Community Lifestyle Statement and affirm the theological commitments expressed in the Statement of Faith.
● Candidates must have legal authority to permanently work in the U.S.
Salary and Rank
Appointment at the Assistant Professor level is anticipated. Salary and benefits are competitive with comparable institutions.
Application Procedures – apply only through this website
When completing the online application, please upload the following as Word or .pdf documents in the section marked Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, and Essay Requirement:
● Letter of Interest
● Curriculum Vitae (CV)
● Faith and learning essay
● Statement of teaching philosophy
Please include on the CV or in the cover letter a link to an online portfolio of work.
Other supporting materials may be requested at a later stage of the review process.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply at once. Review of applications will begin October 21st and continue until the position is filled.
**This position is subject to close at any time, regardless of the date on the posting.
Questions may be directed to: Dr. Steve Classen, email@example.com